1. Tell us a bit about the image
The ballerina is a professional dancer with Ballet West in Salt Lake City, Utah. Her name is Emily Neale.
2. What inspired you to take the shot?
She wanted to take a photo capturing her strength in a soft feminine way.
3. What gear did you use for the shot including lighting?
It was shot with a Canon 5DMiii, 70-200mm. 1/200, f9, iso 160. I used a Paul C Buff White Lightning x1600 with a diffused octobox about 8 ft above.
4. Tell us about the editing process?
I wanted to have just the right amount of diffusion balanced with enough shadow to show the tones she has. So when in editing, all that I needed to do is to adjust the lighting and add a few highlights along with some skin correction.
5. How does this piece reflect you as an artist
As an artist, this photo reflect the constant search for that one photo you are most proud of. I was fortunate enough to work with such an amazing dancer and person to make this photo even possible.
Follow David on Instagram: @david_monson_photo